INVITATION FOR MEDIA REPRESENTATIVES
What: UONGOZI Institute in collaboration with the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Secretariat is organising the 7th African Leadership Forum (ALF) on “Promoting intra-Africa trade to unlock agricultural potential in Africa”.
Who: The forum is convened by H.E. Dr. Jakaya Kikwete, ALF Patron and fourth President of the United Republic of Tanzania; and H.E. Wamkele Mene, Secretary-General of the AfCFTA Secretariat.
When: 25 – 26 May 2023.
Where: The Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City in Accra, Ghana.
How: The forum will feature an opening plenary session and three closed thematic sessions on:
- Unlocking agricultural potentials in Africa.
- Market as a driver for fostering agricultural productivity in Africa.
- Mobilising African stakeholders to ensure a successful implementation of the AfCFTA.
The closed sessions will be held under Chatham House Rules to encourage frank, open and in-depth discussion.
Objective: The forum seeks to provide a space to share experiences and insights to facilitating a successful agricultural trade among African countries. The key objectives are to:
- Highlight Africa’s agricultural potentials and opportunities emerging from climate change;
- share experiences and lessons on the obstacles (internal and international) in maximising agricultural potential in Africa;
- discuss the potential and obstacles to, as well as practical and realistic requirements for implementing AfCFTA within Africa’s agriculture context; and
- identify priorities and roadmap for implementation of the agricultural trade perspective under the AfCFTA in order to realise its transformative economic objective.
Guest of honour: H.E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of the Republic of Ghana.
Participants: The delegates of the forum will include H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo, Former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; H.E. Dr. Mohamed Moncef Marzouki, Former President of the Republic of Tunisia; H.E. Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; H.E. Thomas Boni Yayi, Former President of the Republic of Benin; H.E. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Former President of the Republic of Liberia; H.E. Hailemariam Desalegn Boshe, Former Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia; H.E. Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma, Former President of the Republic of Sierra Leone; and H.E. Uhuru Muigai Kenyata, Former President of the Republic of Kenya.
Other delegates are leaders from all parts of the continent – and from a range of professions in government, business, academia and civil society.
Journalists are invited to cover the opening plenary session on 25 May 2023 from 8:30am – 12:30pm, and the closing session on 26 May 2023 from 12:30pm – 13:30pm where the statement of the forum will be presented.
You are kindly entreated to arrive, 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
For further information, please contact:
Mrs. Grace Khoza, Principal Communications Advisor | AfCFTA Secretariat | E-mail: Grace.Khoza@au-afcfta.org | Accra, Ghana | www.au-afcfta.org
Ms. Suzana Aroko, Acting Communications Manager | UONGOZI Institute | E-mail: email@example.com | Dar es Salaam, Tanzania | www.uongozi.or.tz
Take part in the online conversation: #ALF2023